Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 3 - Orientation

Yesterday, July 9, 2008 was a jam-packed day with so much information I felt like my brain would pop.  We had library orientation, and computer lab orientation, and a general new student orientation.  I've now introduced myself to this group at least 5 times-they know more about me at this point than most of my friends at home!  We had lunch with the faculty; I sat with Kathi Appelt, author of the amazing book THE UNDERNEATH, and Leda Schubert, author of the beautiful picture story book BALLET OF THE ELEPHANTS.  They were both truly incredible people who genuinely love teaching us newbies.  In a few days, I'll have to list the names of the faculty members I would like to have as my advisor this semester.  Out of the 15 (?), I get to list 8, and then it's a random selection from there.  Each residency, the number to choose gets lower so you are more likely to work with exactly who you want.  Everyone says, "Trust the Process."  In other words, you will get exactly who you are meant to get each semester and it all works out in the end.  I believe that's true.  I have to, because they are all so wonderful, I don't know who to eliminate from my list!

What did I learn today? 
 I learned that living this closely with a group of people bonds you in ways I never would've imagined.  When the "upper-classmen" got back together on campus yesterday, there was laughter, tears, hugs, and just a general excitement.  You could see how close they were.  It's a very special connection.

What's on today's agenda?
Let the wild rumpus begin!  We have many lectures scheduled today-Sharon Darrow, Alan Cumyn, Louise Hawes, and a couple of graduating students.  Oh, and our first workshop.  After dinner is faculty readings and then KARAOKE!

Tomorrow: More lectures!

3 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Totally trust the process. Things work out for the best if you expect them to!

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

How are you sleeping? I know I am finally comfortable in a place when my brain has "learned" the new night sounds. I read an article about this last summer and it's actually true... when you are in a new place, everything keeps you up at night, the sound of a fan, or the water in the pipes, cars on the street... it takes about 3 - 4 days for your brain to learn these sounds, so you can ignore them and sleep soundly.

So where are you in this cycle? When you are able to do this, you will be "home."

Dawn Buthorn said...

I'm actually sleeping in the non-air conditioned dorms, with a roommate, and lots of thoughts going through my head all the time. But, I've managed to sleep somehow. I hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. We have a big fan in the window that makes a steady white noise, plus I brought a noise maker and ear plugs. The beds aren't great, but at least I'm getting some sleep. It's still not home though.